Damon Dash Net Worth
|Net Worth||$10 Thousand|
|Known for||Co-Founding Roc-A-Fella|
|Position||Entrepreneur, Record Label Executive, Film Producer, Actor|
|Country||United States of America|
|Wife (EX)||Rachel Roy|
Jack of All Trades, is Mr. Dash! Damon Dash, starting off from a very humble background, had his fair share of struggle. Yet, he never backed down and reached the pinnacle of success.
Entrepreneur, Actor, Director – he wore all these shoes successfully!
As of 2021, Damon Dash has been part of numerous legal battles as well. Fighting them off, while skimming through his personal battles and losses, Damon Dash has an interesting life.
Currently, the net worth of Damon Dash stands close to $10 Thousand.
Let us look more into his life story, to know, learn and enjoy his roller coaster journey.
Damon Dash Early Life
Damon Dash started off in a very humble way. Born on May 3, 1971, Dash was raised by a single mother. Her name has not been officially released.
When Dash was 15, he lost his mother due to asthma. And, this taught him the art of survival.
Damon started working menial jobs to make his ends meet. Starting from sweeping to selling newspapers, he used to learn to hustle.
Education was important for Damon Dash, owing to the financial condition of his family. Winning scholarships for continuing education, he went ahead to study in private schools, boarding schools, to focus better.
Eventually, he completed his undergraduate degree in Bachelor of Commerce.
1992 saw the bigger break for Damon Dash. One of his friends introduced him to Jay Z.
And, here started the new journey for Damon Dash!
Starting with Roc-a-Fella and dispute
Roc-a-Fella is the brainchild of Damon Dash, along with his partners Jay Z and Briggs Burke. Roc-a-Fella soon became the leading recording label, with the hit release of “Reasonable Doubt” by Jay Z.
The empire of Jay Z and Damon was just starting to pick up, but it faced a sudden halt.
Roc-A-Fella soon got acquired by Def Jam Records. What transpired was an ugly dispute of ownership as JayZ was made the President.
It left Damon James with $ 10 million, as a part of his shares in Roc-a-Fella.
Venturing into retail merchandising
To ensure that Roc-a-Fella reached the new heights of success and even a wider public appeal, Rocawear was launched.
A partnership firm opened by Shaw Carter and Damon Dash, having sales of more than $700 million, annually was founded in 1999.
With an aim to have affordable clothing, Rocawear gained much popularity among the youth, teenage, and children demographic. But, it ended up souring the relationship further between Damon and JayZ.
Eventually, JayZ bought out the stock of Damon Dash within the firm, thus leaving Damon Dash with nothing.
Trying the hand in other Avenues
Further, Damon Dash ventured into the silver screen. His role in the superhit documentary Beef Series is very well remembered. Discussing the feuds that take place in the rap arena, Dash has ensured that his name is not forgotten easily.
Damon Dash has been active in numerous other movies like Honor Up, Street is Watching, State Property 2, and many more.
He has also been successful in other ventures which include boxing, publishing, and alcohol. Armadale Vodka is one of such alcohol businesses that Dash ventured into, giving up another milestone achievement in his career.
Such a diversified career was also blemished by numerous legal battles. These battles ended up eroding his wealth as well.
Damon Dash Net Worth
With so many ups and downs in Damon’s career, he’s now lost most of the wealth he’d earned. At his peak, Damon Dash was estimated to be worth around $50 Million.
As of 2021, the net worth of Damon Dash is estimated to be close to $10 Thousand.
Personal Life and Legal Battles
While Dash was young, he had shown his interest in R&B artist, Aaliyah! Though both of them started seeing each other, fate had something else for them.
Aaliyah was the victim of a painful plane crash in the Bahamas. She is no more. In one of the interviews, Dash stated that both of them were looking forward to getting into wedlock.
Dash eventually married his intern in Rocawear, Rachel Roy. He is the proud father of two daughters. Eventually, his marriage turned out to be bitter, resulting in a tart separation in 2009.
Other than daughters from his marriage, Dash is also the father of two sons. One from Linda Williams and the other from Cindy Morales.
Dash has a very controversial life when it comes to legal battles. Be it for the domestic abuse of Rachel Roy, or failing to pay up for the child-support, Damon Dash had been on the other side of the law.
Key learning from Damon Dash
Damon Dash, a life which is very celebrated in the music arena, is also teaching us important lessons. Let us explore some of the key takeaways from Damon’s life:
1. Be smart with money: Being pretty successful is one thing, and being financial literate is another. Sadly, Dash wasn’t the second one. He pilfered a lot of his wealth and ended up losing the money either on legal battles or on other avenues. Be smart with money!
2. Not having what you can pay at a single stroke: Foreclosure of their properties in Manhattan, failing to meet their payments of close to $80,000 one such example. Buying too much on credit, that you end up selling up your mortgage is never cool. This is what we should learn, to manage the finances, and never go beyond our spending capacity as well.
3. Knowing your benchmark: Comparing with others was never helpful for Dash. He has quoted that comparing with yourself is the best a man can do to himself. He has also quoted that being with ambitious people always helps. It is important to note that, once we are dedicated to achieving something, we hardly feel exhausted. It has been reiterated by Dash.
4. Rising from a humble background is always an option: It is not our fault if we are born poor. But, it is our fault, if we die poor! This is exemplified by Damon Dash. Starting from a humble background with a chequered past, he ensures that grabs the opportunities. Sadly, his feuds did not help him much. But, his success is something we must learn from.
5. One feud can cost too many: His feud with Shawn Carter just ended up driving him nuts. Losing out on both Roc-a-Fella and Rocawear just goes ahead to show, it is better to bury the hatchet for business purposes.
Once a Millionaire, Damon Dash is now struggling with his finances. We can learn from his story that money may not last if you treat it wrong. Getting into legal battles is the worst way to lose money and most people who get into that, lose a lot of their wealth.
As of 2021, the net worth of Damon Dash is estimated to be close to $10 Thousand, but we hope that he regains his wealth later. We’ll update this article if and when that happens.
What do you think about Damon Dash, his life story and his net worth?
Tell us in the comments below, and share this article with your friends if you find it interesting.